AA Society

 

AA Society - Introduction

Originally formed in the 1930’s to provide Religious, Social, and Educational services for the Iraqi Jewish Community in the U.S., today the AA Society serves the entire Iraqi Jewish Community, assisting its members at the difficult time of death.


Background


The Iraqi Jewish community in New York State was organized in 1934, as the "Iraqi Aid Society". Its aim was to help its members who found difficulties in their new country of settlement, and to purchase burial sites for the members of the community.


In the early 1950's, several members of the community established a second organization called the "American Alliance Society".  A few years later, the two groups merged, forming the current "American Aid Society," also known as AA Society.


In the early 1940’s the AA Society purchased a burial plot at the New Montefiore Cemetery in Farmingdale, NY, to be used as a Community Cemetery.


Between the 1940's and the 1980's, the community's social activities took place at very prominent hotels. In addition, during the High Holidays in the 1970's and up to 1980's, a large hall was rented in Esplanade Hotel in Manhattan for religious services.


In the 1980’s, the Society purchased a building in Jamaica Estates in Queens, NY, and established Congregation Bene Naharayim.



Within a few years, the Congregation, the Babylonian Jewish Center (BJC), Midrash Ben Ish Hai,
and other organizations were created to
provide a variety of community, religious, educational services to the Iraqi community of New York, leaving the society with sole responsibility to administer and maintain the Community Cemetery. 
 

Copyright © 2009, A. A. Society